Our family has reached triple digits with the recent graduation of The Radical Collective, Surge Oakland’s second ever Fellowship cohort!
On July 13th, 2019, The Surge Institute celebrated the work and collective journeys of the 2019 Oakland Fellows with a graduation ceremony at the beautiful Cavallo Point Lodge in Sausalito, CA. Family, friends, and loved ones were present for the occasion, bringing this chapter for the 2019 Oakland Fellows to a close, while also opening the door to their new roles as Surge Alumni.
The afternoon kicked off with Surge Board of Directors member, Darryl Cobb, who introduced the Surge space through a community lens. Afterwards, attendees heard from Nicole Magtoto, Educational Policy Analyst for the San Francisco Unified School District and Surge Oakland 2018 Fellow, who spoke on her Surge experience as well as the importance of continuing the collective work with the Surge Alumni community. She noted that this movement is bigger than any individual. It’s a collective, a tribe, a family of fierce leaders.
Ty-Licia Hooker, Executive Director for Boost! West Oakland and Stockton Success and Leadership Academy, then took the stage to give a few words on behalf of the Radical Collective. Ty-Licia was selected by her fellow cohort members as the 2019 Fellow speaker, sharing her story on overcoming imposter syndrome and recognizing our own genius as leaders in a space where we can’t afford to short change ourselves. Fred Blackwell, CEO of The San Francisco Foundation, served as the keynote speaker for the ceremony, speaking on how valuable the Fellows’ work is, specifically to communities of color in the Bay Area who need leaders representative of them.
The power of this ceremony never ceases to amaze us, reminding our entire community of the importance of celebration and showing up for ourselves and our people!
See the full list of the Surge Oakland 2019 Graduates below and click HERE to view photos from the ceremony:
- Adanta Ahanonu, Site Director, Year Up
- Janelle Bailey, Interim Site Director/Academic Affairs Director, College Track
- Paul Fields, Site Director, College Track
- Roilyn Graves, Program Specialist, Envision Education
- Ty-licia Hooker, Executive Director, Boost! West Oakland and Stockton Success and Leadership Academy
- Taica Hsu, Co-Director of Mentoring, Trellis Education
- Sanam Jorjani, Co-Director, Oakland Literacy Coalition
- Jayo Miko Macasaquit, HR & Operations Manager, Oakland Public Education Fund
- Kyra Mungia, Education Project Director, Office of Mayor Schaaf, Oakland Promise
- Zakir Parpia, Director of Fiscal Partnerships, California School-Age Consortium
- Dulce Torres-Petty, Brilliant Baby Program Coordinator, Office of Mayor Schaaf, Oakland Promise